Patient Safety Manager
Company: Advocate Health Care
Posted on: March 21, 2023
Leads the implementation of a robust patient safety program at
each Advocate Aurora hospital site and integrated ambulatory sites
of care with support to their market medical groups and ambulatory
sites of care. Provides analysis and evaluation of highly
confidential data to identify clinical risk reduction
opportunities. Works closely with the site's executive leadership
team, site directors, managers as well as the front line.
Collaborates with other key divisions within the organization,
including Nursing, Pharmacy, Risk Management, Quality, Supply
Chain, Information Technology (IT) and Clinical Engineering, etc.
Provides education on relevant patient safety topics.
- Effectively facilitates implementation of site's patient safety
program including leadership and front line tools that promote
reliability. These include but are not limited to daily huddle,
safety recognition, just culture, safety coach programs, physician
champion programs among others.
- Leads the High Reliability Unit program at their home site,
facilitating selection and training of safety coaches, leads coach
training, ensuring training of all associates within the unit,
launch of projects to solve local safety issues, and ensures a
strong sustainment program is in place.
- Coordinates safety efforts though site-based departments to
ensure alignment of Advocate Aurora's culture of high reliability
and progress related to implementation of the patient safety
- Aligns efforts with leaders from all departments, clinical and
non-clinical, including the medical staff.Communicates and presents
regularly to site executive teams around the occurrence of serious
safety events, and status of the site safety program.
- Ensures the timely investigation of all serious safety events
by conducting root cause analysis and use of other investigative
- Identifies and oversees implementation of corrective actions to
reduce risk in the organization, specifically identifying those
that have system implications for risk reduction.
- Participates in the selection, training and development of
patient safety team members within their scope of
- Reviews safety events entered daily into the reporting system,
analyzes patient safety data on a regular basis to identify
strengths, opportunities for improvement, trends and actionable
items to advance site culture.
- Collaborates with site's medical education leaders to
participate in leading a site-based patient safety program for
residents and medical student to ensure successful compliance with
the Clinical Learning Environment Regulations (CLER) issued by the
national organization for graduate medical education.
- Regularly provides education to team members and physicians at
all levels of the organization regarding safety and reliability.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) designation
issued by the Certification Board for Professionals in Patient
Safety (CBPPS) needs to be obtained within 12 months unless
department leader has determined it is not required. Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Health Care Administration or related
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, or Experience Required:
- Typically requires 7 years of experience in experience in the
delivery of clinical care in nursing, allied health, or a health
related field, and at least 2 years experience in work related to
safety, quality, or risk management. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Awareness of key topics in the field of patient safety and
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and analyze procedure and
- Familiarity with data collection, display, analysis and
utilization to drive change.
- Demonstrates self-directed, results-oriented and creative
approach to organizational change.
- Communication skills sufficient to interact with all levels of
associates and medical staff, front line through senior executives
and the board.
- Demonstrates ability to lead others through influence.
- Effective presentation skills in small group settings.
- Experienced in leading teams.
- Ability to succeed in responding to change and handling
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence when handling highly
sensitive information on patient harm, and in engaging in
conversations with team members on reactions to error.
- Able to handle highly confidential information in a respectful
- Demonstrates political savvy in responding to events, and
messaging sensitive information to stakeholders with site leaders.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Exposed to a normal office environment.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Must have functional speech and hearing.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, bend and lift frequently
throughout the workday. This job description indicates the general
nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not
designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities,
duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may
be required to perform other related duties.
Join our Talent Network
Medical Affairs at Advocate Aurora
Jobs like this
Advocate Aurora Health is committed to diversity and inclusion
every single day and in everything we do. Diversity lives in the
differences, great and small, that matter to us and make each of us
unique - from our age and the color of our skin, to our abilities
and the things we believe in. We know that empowering our
differences inspires creativity that leads to innovative solutions
- for our team members, consumers and communities. And because
health care is built upon relationships, it's important for the
people we serve to be able to trust us to meet their unique needs.
By cultivating an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion, we
create a welcoming environment where our patients can heal, our
team members can thrive and our business can grow. As a team
member, working in a diverse setting allows you the chance to grow
in ways that will broaden your perspective to deliver the best
possible patient care.
Keywords: Advocate Health Care, Oshkosh , Patient Safety Manager, Executive , Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...