SSNL Parks General Laborer
This position will aid with department operations as it pertains
to maintenance of parks, forestry, cemetery, special use facilities
(water park, amphitheater, zoo) and special events. Performing
maintenance operations such as custodial work, athletic field
preps, landscape operations, facility maintenance (amusement
center, amphitheater and zoo) and aiding in special event
operations. Responsible and accountable for general maintenance,
cleanup duties and safe operation of City owned grounds and
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
Parks Department (Parks, Forestry, Cemetery) and Facility
- Operate light vehicles, commercial mowers, lawn tractors, small
grass cutting/hedge trimming machinery, power tools.
- Mowing grass (with a push mower and/or riding lawn mower), pick
up litter and debris, weed whipping (power trimmer), watering and
weeding of flower beds, baskets, trees and other landscaped areas,
landscaping and mulching, blowing/raking walkways, and other tasks
- Restroom/shelter/facility cleaning, pool cleaning and
maintenance, pool recreation equipment cleaning and maintenance,
special event assistance, boat launch service and athletic field
- Performing custodial operations, clean washrooms, vault
toilets, showers and other public use areas. Collect and dispose of
recyclables, garbage and litter as directed. Open and close
facilities as directed
- Performing animal husbandry, enrichment, exhibit cleaning and
maintenance at Menominee Park Zoo.
Special Event Operations (10%)
- Assist with setup, tear-down and the operation of special
events and functions, move supplies, picnic tables and equipment as
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Wisconsin driver's license and good driving record.
- Reports to work at scheduled time with reasonable and
- Work various scheduled hours Monday through Friday including
weekends and holidays.
- Report any violation of City of Oshkosh rules/regulation on or
in relationship to City property to supervisor.
- Responsible and accountable for providing general information
to the public and assisting them with their concerns and complaints
- Perform his/her duties and ensure that assigned
employees/volunteers work in accordance with the City's Safety
Policy and Procedures as well as the Occupational Health and Safety
Act, including all applicable regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and write, understand and follow oral and
- Ability to conduct work in a safe manner in accordance with
established safety rules and procedures.
- Capacity to work both independently and in a team
- Capacity to operate a variety of landscape and park maintenance
equipment, capable of lifting equipment minimum of 50 pounds
properly and safely.
- Possess knowledge of small engine equipment operation such as
lawn mowers, power trimmers, blowers, and pressure washers, pool
- Experience in small & heavy equipment operation, landscaping,
- Possess knowledge in youth athletic field maintenance equipment
operation such as groomers, edger's, trimmers and sprayers,
- Ability to adapt to the daily challenges associated with a busy
work environment and weather conditions.
- Ability to capitalize on cost saving opportunities and
efficiencies, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Provide friendly, positive customer service with a positive
- Must have a valid Wisconsin Driver's License for a minimum of
(3) three years.
- Leadership experience in a building/park maintenance is highly
- First Aid and CPR training is an asset.
In evaluating candidates for this position, the City may
consider a combination of education, training and experience which
provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform
the essential duties of the position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to stand, climb, walk, and use hands to finger,
handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls. The employee is
occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel,
crouch or crawl, and talk and hear. The employee must frequently
lift 50 pounds and occasionally lift and or more than 70 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision
and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. While performing the essential
duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and
or humid conditions, wild animals, fumes or airborne particles and
toxic chemicals. The employee occasionally works near moving
objects and is occasionally exposed to risk of loud noises.
Considerable periods of standing/sitting. Moderate to heavy
lifting, pushing, pulling at times. Working conditions contain
moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited
periods of time. May be subject to inclement weather and/or weather
extremes during the discharge of responsibilities. Physical work
including a variety of large and small equipment including the use
of small tools, lawn maintenance equipment and small tractors.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral
interview and reference check, and proof of a valid driver's
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of
the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to
The job description does not constitute an employee agreement
between the employer and is subject to change by the employer as
the need of the employer and requirements of the job change.
General Park Maintenance (18 or older):
- Includes operating on and off road vehicles (trucks, riding
mowers, utility carts)
- Locations Include: Parks / Cemetery / Forestry
General (restricted) Park Maintenance (16 or older):
- Primary focus of grounds and facility maintenance which
excludes use of riding maintenance equipment.
- Location Include: Pollock Community Waterpark
Hours for the positions can range up to 40 hours per week with
rotating daily and weekend schedule.
Type : EXTERNAL
Location : PARKS SSNL LABORS
HOURLY RATE RANGE: $10.92-$12.47