Shelter Care Specialist - First Shift (Part-time)
Company: Professional Services Group, Inc.
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Professional Services Group, Inc.Description:
Shelter Care Specialist provide direct care and services to the
residents of Winnebago County DHS Shelter Care as directed/guided
by the Shelter Care Supervisor, Care Advocate Specialists and/or
other professional staff. Shelter Care Specialist also provide a
safe, secure and positive environment, as well as complete
necessary and required paperwork for all youth residents and the
facility.The work hours of this position are between 6am-3pm, plus
every other weekend.SALARY: $19.00 an hour. Plus a $1,000 sign-on
- Provide direct care and services to all of the children and
youth at the shelter care facility. Actively engage youth residents
in educational, recreational, intellectual and life skills
activities. Provide formal and informal groups, programming and
learning opportunities. Encourage and support resident positive
- Maintain the facility and daily operations. Ensure the basic
needs of the youth are met, including but not limited to
nutritional food preparation and medication monitoring. Purchase
needed food and supplies; clean and organize the facility. Provide
youth transportation to school, work, court, recreational
activities and other appointments as needed.
- Complete all paperwork as required by the agency and state
licensing rules and regulations. Follow all agency and licensing
rules and regulations of the facility. Perform intake and discharge
processes. Observe and record behavior of the residents. Shares
written and verbal information with appropriate parties. Complete
and document all required training within required
- Assists the Care Advocate Specialists in facilitating groups,
programming, basic needs and educational sessions.
- Assists children/youth in following daily schedules, including
constructive use of free time.
- Performs duties related to the overall maintenance of the
facility, including housekeeping, meal planning, grocery shopping,
meal preparation, and other duties, as assigned.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, in-service
training, and other meetings as needed, including all required
training as well as optional training relevant to the
- Addresses and resolves conflict in a professional manner.
- Manages stress in a professional manner, including actively
engaging in professional and personal activities which help
mitigate the impact of secondary traumatic stress.
- Follows Trauma Informed Care principles and practices, and
demonstrates a strong commitment to fostering a positive, healthy
- Make recommendations, as appropriate, to the Program Supervisor
for changes in operational activities or policies/procedures
governing the facility.
- Provides comprehensive and supportive coaching, modeling, and
guidance to youth through a variety of intervention services to
address their social, emotional, educational, and health
- Works cooperatively as a team-oriented member of the Shelter
care facility as well as the Child Welfare Division of Human
Services assisting co-workers with their duties, and participating
in collaborative efforts internally and outside of the agency.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.WORK
- Reports to Human Service Program Supervisor - Shelter Care
- Works with client youth and families, as well as staff from
WCDHS, circuit courts, DA's office, schools, placement settings,
and other agencies/programs.
- Must have a valid Wisconsin driver's license.
- Proof of minimum automobile liability insurance requirements
contained in the Winnebago County Travel Ordinance.EDUCATION,
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND CERTIFICATION:
- A high school education with a minimum of 1 year of post high
school education, training or experience (paid or volunteer) that
has provided the skills and knowledge necessary to provide proper
care to children and youth living in a temporary living environment
who may be experiencing significant trauma.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution of
higher learning, preferably in social work, psychology, or a
related field preferred.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- The physical and emotional capacity to adjust to problems
involved in the care and supervision of children/youth in a
temporary living environment who may be experiencing significant
crisis and trauma.
- Knowledge and understanding of Trauma Informed Care preferred,
and commitment to provide trauma informed services.
- Willingness to assess youth strengths, needs, safety, and risk
factors with sensitivity to past traumatic experiences; and
incorporate these into appropriate programming and services within
- Knowledge of child and adolescent development and experience
working with at risk youth preferred.
- Ability to maintain composure and exercise good judgment in a
- Ability to make objective, thoughtful decisions during crisis
- Skilled in motivating youth through a dynamic, respectful,
encouraging, and creative approach to help them develop
- Ability to establish and maintain effective teaming
relationships with DHS employees, consumers, volunteers, public
service providers, and the general public; while working within the
agency structure and utilizing supervisory guidance and
- Possession of computer skills to manage and complete training
and documentation, access information, and communicate
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including
- Ability to effectively address and resolve conflict and to
manage stress in a professional manner.
- Ability to successfully complete all of the required training
as directed by the Department of Children and Families and the
agency.Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected
veteran statusTags: youth, teen, community, mental health, social
services, human services, addiction counseling, supportive,
nurture, career, treatment, crisis, kids, children, therapy,
multilingual, bilingual, behavior, communications, compassion,
positive, impact, continuing education, development, professional
development, professional growth, advancement, family, families
Keywords: Professional Services Group, Inc., Oshkosh , Shelter Care Specialist - First Shift (Part-time), Other , Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!